What is a Dark kitchen and how are they changing the hospitality industry? A Dark kitchen (sometimes referred to as a “ghost kitchen”) enables you to bring your restaurants food direct to customers doors without the need for the costly overheads of a high street frontage. Located in factory units, railway arches or other non-high street locations, dark kitchens allow for the production of restaurant quality food in highly accessible locations. Reducing running costs, minimising delivery times and increasing convenience- dark kitchens will allow food businesses to keep up with the demand for delivered meals.
CALMEC have been at the forefront of the growth of Dark kitchens and have worked in partnership with some of the largest platforms and companies in the business. It is not uncommon to have a single site containing multiple kitchens, sometimes as many as 30 to 40 kitchens, each capable of hosting any of the famous high street brands or start-up businesses. The challenge is to design and install kitchen extract systems capable of extracting from all of the separate kitchens, possibly each with different extract rates, and keeping them comfortable whilst adhering to current planning and local authority regulations. We have extensive experience working with many different sites and design requirements which makes us the top choice for dark kitchen projects.
Our Design Considerations:
- The design must accommodate the maximum number of kitchens into the site
- The design must also allow flexibility to suit a whole range of clients, brands, kitchen sizes and extraction rates
- Specialist odour, smoke and grease control systems, where required, to meet local planning and local authority regulations
- Extraction controls to allow independent ventilation rates and on/off times for each kitchen-even when connected to a shared extraction system
- Centralised or remote monitoring systems
CALMEC – At the forefront of the design, manufacture and installation of extraction and ventilation systems to Commercial & Dark kitchens.